Sunday, January 23, 2005

Saarang - Day 1&2

Its 5.45 on a Sunday evening and im at work in Tidel which is so close to where Saarang is going on in full swing, with the sports quiz happening as im typing this out. Its definitely ironic that the one weekend that I want to be absolutely free and have something lined up perfectly for both days, I get swamped with work. Still, I cant complain much as ive not entirely been at office, its proximity to the IIT playing on my urge to watch the show conquering all qualms about leaving office at a moments notice from someone about something interesting happening there. Yesterday, I went to IIT at around 2, with a eager heart and an empty stomach. IIT provided for neither amply, the food being rather average and the afternoon having not a single interesting event happening. Had originally planned to catch a part of the western music solo that was happening that afternoon, but it apparently got over in the morning. After waiting futilely in the CLT hoping for something to start next, we left the place to look around the campus. Went out for lunch and circled adyar and besant nagar twice looking for a place that would serve beer. After passing by umpteen tasmacs and enquiring of some million people about possible places, we stopped at a place called SNS. It looked kinda shady from the outside, but was pretty passable. They had pool tables and I received some elementary theoretical tutoring on the basic rules as well as a glimpse of the nuances of what makes pool such an interesting game and also its effect on our carom skills. Was very interesting to watch those guys play while we had our drinks. My pal got absolutely sloshed in a while and I was just off my high when we realized it was 6.30 and it was time we headed back to IIT for the rock show. Was a pretty eventful and interesting drive with him getting out of the car at every signal and pointing out at stuff and people and basically freaking everyone out with his behaviour. I only found it funny and interesting and anyway I knew his love for the car would pull us safely through that short drive. At the venue he ws barred admission on grounds of drunkenness and I was getting somewhat apprehensive about the show, when the rescue team arrived and we got into the venue to find ourselves simply unable to see a thing on the stage. We kept going on about bad organization and about how it was good we were so high or wed have been more irritated with the whole arrangement. We tried to get forward, but it was impossible for a girl to stand the kinda jostling and so, we came to the very end of the grounds. After a while, things reached a climax, the music wasn’t all that great and our position sucked majorly. So, we decided to leave and we went up to the exit. N then we realized that the ramp gave a perfect view of the proceedings and we stood there for a while enjoying ourselves after a long while. but then getting too thirsty, we tried to leave the OAT to get a Pepsi or something, but were told that we couldn’t get back in. so, we just chilled out outside for a while, listening to moksha tuning and preparing their instruments for what seemed like ages. Left the campus by 10.30 and reached home pretty late. Mum and dad were asleep and just asked me if id had a good day. Slept almost as soon as I got to my room and woke only at 9 today.
Reached office today by 11, worked for 1.5 hrs and then left for lunch. Went to Saarang for the PowerChord event and it was pretty good. One of those bands was in fact really good and it kind of salvaged things on the music front. Then, we watched the semis of the lone wolf quiz. Was a very interesting event, and I knew the answers only to 2 questions, the one about bogarting a joint and the other about frank zappa and the fire at montreaux and deep purple’s smoke on the water. I think Vinod, JK go through to the finals along with a coupla others. Left for office again by 4 and am here waiting for this query to finish running and simply bored out of my mind. The song running through my head all day – Black Knight.