Thursday, January 27, 2005

mid-week fun...

Its great to have a holiday in the middle of the week. Im back at work today with a feeling of getting back to work after a nice weekend. Most of my plans for yesterday did materialize contrary to the Murphy’s law that everything I plan will backfire.
Left home at 10.30 yesterday morning, which was later than id planned. So, I dropped the idea of going to office for a quick check on the job id left running and went straight to Saarang. I got myself the crossword for the day and went to watch the debate finals. The first semis were over and their topic had been about Euthanasia. The one I watched was on whether to “ ration senior citizen benefits to allocate more to the youth”. The National Law school team was for the rationing and they did a pretty good job of their side of their argument though they mainly capitalized on the narrowness of definition of the word “ration” by the other team. They went through to the finals and the topic there was “ we condemn skin on screen”. The government was free to interpret the topic as it wished, and the opposition could either agree to their interpretation or ask for a change. The government decided to interpret it as a “safeguard privacy” thing rather than the more obvious “skin show in entertainment” angle. NLS agreed to this interpretation and simply tore their position apart with their knowledge of the more precise legal definitions of public and private matters. The judges recommended a change in the drift of the debate and I couldn’t stay to watch more as it was 12 and the biz quiz finals were scheduled at the CLT then. Went down, braving the attacks of a chatter of monkeys, and also without losing my way, which in itself was a great achievement. As a treat for my bravery,. I found the finals of the India Quiz happening at the CLT then, and I was able to catch the last few questions in that quiz. Shamanth’s team( I know i use names like i know these people when i dont, but then i do follow their blogs.. ), I think, won that event, with Vinod’s team coming a close second by .5 points (I may be wrong on this one). Next up was the business quiz, which was pretty interesting, aided by the frequent chances to the audience to answer those clues. It was quite funny that every time some answer was elusive, someone was bound to shout out “Durex” as a possible answer. I couldn’t watch this one to the finish either as the odyssey quiz was due to begin at 3 and our team “the sad’damned bush’wackers” had a waitlist of 146.
There was a guy on the bus from the Saarang venue to the IIT exit, who weaseled my phone number out of me and promised to call me as he was bored and knew no one in Chennai! Hope he doesn’t though. I strongly dislike sudden friendships with strangers.
I skipped lunch to reach the academy on time for the quiz and looked around for my teammates, whom Id never met before. They were my colleagues and we were a part of an unofficial quiz club in CTS. Coincidences galore, it turned out that both of them were from my school Vidya Mandir, and in fact one of them was in 12A while I was in 12B. n we dint know each other at all. also met several other CTS junta out there at the venue, some of whom were college seniors too. Managed to get a seat in the auditorium and we found ourselves sitting right next to a school team from VM too. They were a pretty enthusiastic and smart team and finally won the best school team award. I also saw my classmate Roach, along with Harish and Rahul who were also in VM in my batch, get to the finals of the quiz. It was kinda nostalgic to have so many school associations there. Had to leave the odyssey by 6.30 to make it to the office and then to the jazz concert at IIT. That was a pretty good concert, and I found Prasanna’s classical and western interleaving quite interesting though his kindergarten-ish swaying while he played, was rather annoying initially. The bass guitarist Kai Eckdart (I know I got the spelling wrong!) was really good too, and the drummer Derico Watson seemed the embodiment of sheer energy. Having missed lunch, it was not strange that the first thing I did at IIT was get myself something to eat, but what was strange was that even after the initial snack, we went on to have a sandwich, juice, ice-cream and then a Dew(I cant resist Dew) in that order. Haven’t hogged that much in that short a while in a really long time. left for home at 10.40 after my mum called up and delivered a furious tirade at my being so late. Had to miss the end of the concert, and to top it all my parents wouldn’t speak to me.
Paid the price for a day’s entertainment with a dry chapathi for breakfast and company canteen food for lunch. Still, the fun was worth every grain of sand in that rice I had for lunch.
Tomorrow is our annual day and there is going to be free booze out there. the radio mirchi RJ Suchi, will be compeering and finally ill get to see the face behind that voice. And the best part of it all is I will get to leave office by 5 tomorrow. Hurray!! Now im getting back to work.