Yippee! I have finally made use of CTS resources as I ought. I have gotten myself a British Council Library membership card from the library yesterday. So, I can look forward to long days of browsing at this impressive library with a truly esoteric collection of books. Now, we come to the burning question. What propelled me yesterday to this act of reason? That was because I was already due to be at the bcl for a movie screening titled the Rat Catcher which was about a boy who, haunted by a secret, grows increasingly distant from his family and loses himself in a world of his own. This sounded like a movie after my own heart and so, I was there on the dot waiting to watch the “provocative, compelling and visually stunning movie, one of the finest debut films in contemporary cinema”. But two minutes into the movie and I realized it was definitely provoking and compelling (me to leave) and stunning as I couldn’t understand a single word (or even a single syllable) of what these people on screen were speaking. Was a truly awful accent and after Herculean efforts at understanding the dialogues for fifteen minutes, within which time my ego received a severe drubbing at the idea that I couldn’t even understand an English movie, I left the place.
To make up for this fiasco, I decided to watch something id been wanting to watch for a while. So, put on the requiem for a dream cd, put out the lights, and looked forward to a nice, simple movie. Had heard about the story line from a pal who said “its about a woman trying to get on a telly show and a couple trying to make some big bucks”. And he was right. That, as simplistic and boring as it may sound, was the overall plot of the movie. The connecting thread between these people was coke. Nothing had prepared me for the actual impact of the movie though. The music was perfectly in keeping with the name, classical and perfectly suited to the scenes. The editing was marvelous and the combination of the music and the editing made the movie totally petrifying. Yes, I know it sounds hardly like the typical horror or thriller genre movie, but I was totally scared and found it pretty difficult to snap out of that fear after the movie ended. The movie somehow made the hallucinations of the addicted so real that we were also affected to the same degree and considering that the plot was so simple, the movie was riveting. A Must watch for all discriminating movie enthusiasts (yup, we seasoned critics always have to say that, it’s a part of the fine print).
8 months ago
|