Thus spake Algernon Moncrieff, and I couldn’t agree more with him. This morning, while testing through one of those innumerable deliverables that make up a software engineer’s life, I noticed a certain bug, or rather a certain missing functionality. I had a tab which had to be disabled in case I dint get any data to fill it from the backend(I am speaking of the database of course, whose output for all its usability is comparable to that of the homo-sapient connotation of the word except that it doesn’t double up as organic manure.) After that pointlessly verbose digression, I shall continue to expound upon my adventures with the disabled tab. This could’ve been solved with a simple .recordcount = 0 check, but no, where would the world be if all software programmers resorted to the pure(read bug-free) and simple method. That “The code is rarely pure and never simple” is another tenet of programming. So, to tackle the problem at hand I fortified myself with a bite of bar-one, a gulp of water, an imprecation to Don Quixote who is our sainted patron(we strive to emulate his gift for getting a simple situation into a ridiculously complicated setup, through the best of intentions to boot), removed my spectacles and set to work on the code, making sure beforehand that I couldn’t see anything on the screen more clearly than I would superman changing his clothes in the telephone booth, which was all for the best as I could now work at single handedly reducing a near bug-free code into a seething bug colony. After Herculean efforts, spanning across multiple and entirely unrelated forms and modules, I managed to introduce the functionality, and am awaiting my well-deserved pat on the back, star of the month appreciation award.
Yes, ive been rediscovering The Importance of being Earnest. And no, the prolonged inactivity in this blog is not a result of any bunburying on my part but a more fundamental debility, the writers block and this post is a feeble attempt on my part to snap out of it. As a treat to anyone who has patiently read through this post, ill put up one of the several classic exchanges that occur in this work of Wilde's.
Jack: If you don't take care, your friend Bunbury will get you into a serious scrape some day.
Algernon: I love scrapes. They are the only things that are never serious.
Jack: Oh, that's nonsense, Algy. You never talk anything but nonsense.
Algernon: Nobody ever does.
PS: A day spent in an IT Services company should be sufficient to assure you of the verity of that closing statement.
|